Suction abortion or vacuum abortions are the typical procedures if you are between 6 and 12 weeks pregnant.
Suction Aspiration or Vacuum Aspiration Abortion Procedure
- Speculum and local anesthetic prepare the cervix.
- A plastic tube connected to a suction device empties the uterus contents.
- The procedure usually lasts 10-15 minutes, but you may need to stay at the clinic for a few hours to fully recover.
This is a medical procedure. Therefore, it is important to have regulations in place in the event of an emergency. As with any other operation, it is wise to note the possible risks and side effects.
Risks and Side Effects:
- Feeling faint
- Less frequent side effects include:
- Possible heavy or prolonged bleeding
- Blood clots
- Damage to the cervix
- Perforation of the uterus
- Infection due to retained products of conception
- Infection caused by a sexually transmitted infection (STI) or bacteria being introduced to the uterus, causing fever, pain, abdominal tenderness and possibly scarring.
An ultrasound can provide confirmation of a viable pregnancy, as well as tell you how far along you are. These are both key aspects to consider before your abortion. To schedule an ultrasound, click here.
Options for Women Pregnancy Help Clinic does not perform or refer for abortions.
| 863-393-6988 | 4504 Florida National Drive, Lakeland, FL 33813 |